One bag yields approximately 80 ounces of completed syrup/ 5 batches
Make At Home Elderberry Syrup is an easy, wonderful way to get a healthy intake of essential vitamins and other nutrients for a robust immune system.
Having this potent, trusted elixir on hand is important to stay happy and healthy!
How To Use:
Simmer herbs in water, steep to cool and add honey.
- Step 1) Add 1.5 – 2 cups of purified water to a medium-sized pot.
- Step 2) Add 1/4 cup of herb mixture to enclosed cotton drawstring bag to contain your herbs while simmering. Be sure to tie securely closed so that no herbs escape while simmering! Place the bag of herbs into the pot of water. Cover.
- Step 3) Bring to a slow simmer and continue to simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Turn off heat and steep until cooled.
- Step 4) Once cooled, SQUEEZE!! Be sure to wring the bag very well as to get all of the herbal goodness out of your herbs!
- Discard or compost used herbal material. Rinse the drawstring bag and dry for later use.
- Step 5) Very gently warm your liquid once more in your pot just enough to incorporate honey. Do not overheat. Add 1 cup (or more) of raw or local honey and stir until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Step 6) Once cooled a bit, pour your fresh, potent herbal syrup into glass jars or bottles and cap tightly.
*Don’t forget to label with contents and the date!
(Optional: add 1 Tbsp of vodka or brandy per cup of finished syrup for extra preservation)
- Step 7) Refrigerate and use as needed for colds/flu, cough, congestion, even allergies and tummy troubles.
Syrup will remain fresh and potent for 2 months stored in the refrigerator, or even longer with a touch of alcohol added.
For best results, take one dose morning and evening for prevention and 4-6 times daily when ill until illness is resolved.
Adults and older kids: I Tbsp
Young children: 1/2 -2 tsp. depending on age and weight.
(Under age 1, use cane sugar, coconut sugar or pure maple syrup in place of honey if desired)
100% organic ingredients ~ elderberries and elderflower (Sambucus nigra), echinacea root and tops (Echinacea angustifolia, Echinacea purpurea) ginger rhizome (Zingiber officinale), licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra), black pepper (Piper nigrum), clove bud (Syzygium aromaticum), marshmallow root (Althaea officinalis) hibiscus flower (Hibiscus sabdariffa) tulsi leaf (Occimum sanctum)
*2, reusable, organic cotton drawstring bags are included to contain herbs while simmering for ease of preparation